February 26, 2008

The Bare Minimum

Minimalism is so feng shui. No, seriously. It's easy mode. Hell of a lot easier to keep tabs on something smaller than something larger. Anyways, the point is, keeping it real.

Yesterday, I kept it real. So real, in fact, that I made a hundred bucks off of keeping it real. I decided, after some internal debate, that I would simply sell off my CD collection. The reasoning is simple. The future is now. Direct downloads are beginning to take off as an industry standard. Flash drives are everywhere. They even have flash drive USB credit cards in South Korea. WTF???

Basically, I see those types of media standards and information storage as archaic. Seriously, I can go get an external hard drive that is going to hold 5000 CDs' worth of music. And if I need a CD? Burn it. I mean, hell, I bet in five years most cars will be rolling around with small hard drive storage for playing music while you drive around town. No more fiddling around for CDs, scratching them up, losing them, etc.

If you think I'm selling out my "collectivism" for a small amount of money, you'd be right. But honestly... who cares. Collection is right there. These aren't records - nobody is going to be paying two grand for a Beatles DIGITALLY REMASTERED Sgt. Pepper's CD.

Today I read this on a Yahoo article:

"We have a lot of layoffs," said Ji Rawat, a 47-year-old sheetmetal worker with three children who showed up to support Clinton at a rally in Columbus. "People feel poor."


I know it's pretty naive and illegitimate to say this, but... I don't know a single person here in Columbus who feels poor because of layoffs. I don't know a single person who has been layed off because of the economy. If you feel poor, get a secondary job, or stop blowing all of your money on crack, or go to school so you can get a better job. I'm not saying my town is a bunch of rich people - it is a blue collar college town in the Midwest, of course theres a lot of poor people - I'm just annoyed by retards lumping the entire town into their perceived perspective. The saddest part is that a million people will read that Yahoo article, see Ji's opinion of the economic situation in Ohio, and then the readers will think, "Ohio's economy is as bad as Michigans, huh?". No. In fact, you know what? Lets just dump all of these jobs on Mexico, so Mr. Rawat will move the hell away from me.

Is it just me, or is this hope rhetoric really pathetic? I really like the message of say, Obama, but honestly - what the hell is he going to actually do as President? What will any of these candidates do? Chances are, you'll never see jack shizzle of a change that makes an impact on your daily life as a result of whoever is President. Honestly, I really am inspired by messages of hope - but come on. Let me put it this way... If you're watching TV, and the eXtenze PENIS-ENLARGER advertisement comes on, is there any way you're going to be fooled by it? Are they really going to convince you with their flashy commercial that it will actually change anything? How about credit card debt consolidation commercials. Are they actually going to help you get out of debt? Probably. But is the company doing it to help your problems? No, they're doing it to make money.

The candidates are saying all of this junk because they want you to vote for them. They need you. You don't need them. Until this election is over, these people will keep trying to take your power and put it into their pocket. Remember that when you go to vote - vote for whoever you think is going to keep it real... the bare minimum. If you promise too much, you'll never see any of those promises come true. Message to politicians - please fly low, and please fly straight, so we can keep tabs on where you're headed and what you're doing along the way.